What is the accuracy of this methodology?
- When input data quality is acceptable and after appropriate corrections are made, confidence in Mechanical Specific Energy (MSE) output is high.
- Careful study of drilling reports and other data allows the analyst to detect, flag and attempt to correct for changes in drilling efficiency so that MSE is a reliable indicator of rock strength.
- As with most data analysis techniques in the E&P industry, some level of uncertainty in the absolute value final output remains.
- At a minimum, over a limited interval such as a frac stage, the output provides a reliable relative indicator of the lithological heterogeneity along the wellbore that can be used for optimizing frac design.
- Using actual rock data in an engineered completion process requires more attention to perforating depth control, which is a potential source of “error.”